K5 IaaS includes a Key Management Service (KMS) for activating the bundled operating system license that is included with all Windows Server VMs. The URL of the regional KMS service is featured in the appendix of the published IaaS Features Guide, along with instructions for you to request a KMS batcg file from Fujitsu in order to activate your VMs. In this blog I show you a simple way to activate the VM without needing this batcg file.
The KMS activation requires TCP 1688 access from the VM to the KMS service, as well as DNS in order to resolve the KMS URL. So make sure your Security Group and Firewalls at a minimum allow this traffic to the required below URL and that the VM is on a network that is attached to a router configured with an external gateway.
From within the VM to be activated:
- Open a command prompt with elevated permissions (Right click and run as administrator)
- Run the following command to point Windows to the K5 KMS server:
- cscript c:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs -skms
- KMS URLs option:
- kms.uk-1.cloud.global.fujitsu.com (UK)
- kms.jp-east-1.cloud.global.fujitsu.com (Japan East)
- kms.jp-west-2.cloud.global.fujitsu.com (Japan West)
- kms.fi-1.cloud.global.fujitsu.com (Finland)
- Run the following command to activate Windows:
- cscript c:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs -ato
- If successful, a “Product Successfully Activated” message will be displayed within the command prompt.